JSON-LD spec split preview

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 03:11:52 -0400
To: Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
The first pass of the spec split is done and preview-able (temporarily)

There are three Editor's Drafts for 2011-10-16:

The JSON-LD Syntax:

RDF Graph Normalization:

The work was done on a separate branch (2011-09-spec-split) and will be
merged if we decide this is the direction in which the community wants
to head. Detailed diff for this branch vs. the main branch is available

The split is pretty clean between each of the specs modulo some language
that needs to be duplicated across specifications. There is some
duplication between the JSON-LD API and the RDF Graph Normalization spec
(basically the normalization algorithm). We have yet to determine
whether generalizing the normalization algorithm in the JSON-LD API will
make it difficult to understand. However, keeping two normalization
algorithms that are 90% similar in language, and which are meant to
produce the same result, will be a maintainability nightmare. It seems
like we'll be able to fully move the normalization algorithm into its
own spec, but until we change the language and have a couple of people
review it... we won't know for sure.

Take a look if you're interested. Perhaps we should put this on the
Agenda for our upcoming telecon and decide to accept/reject these
changes during the call. In the meantime, if you support/disapprove of
this direction, but won't be able to make the call, you can always +1/-1
it via the mailing list.

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Standardizing Payment Links - Why Online Tipping has Failed