Re: HTTP POST and @subject IRI

From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:57:38 -0500
To: public-linked-json@w3.org
On 11/06/2011 06:48 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> Or you could just omit the @subject entirely and have your server
>> populate it for you. It is perfectly legal JSON-LD to not specify a
>> @subject.
> Won't that create a blank node? That's not really what's intended here.

The service is responsible for how it interprets its input; it could
very well be expecting to receive a blank node and then provide it with
a global identifier. In fact, this is likely how a service that assigns
global names (IRIs) to blank nodes would work.

If the service is unable to alter the input before it is stored for
later retrieval, then I can see using the other solution (@subject: ""),
but this actually seems a lot messier to me. I would prefer to retrieve
an object with a fully-populated @subject, and not have to rely on
storing information about where I retrieved it in some separate state
container.

--
Dave Longley
CTO