Re: JSON-LD Basic

On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:49 PM, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 6/24/11 7:07 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> Glenn, Brian, Kingsley,
>>
>> Is this more along the lines of what you had in mind?
>>
>> http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/basic/
>>
>> Pay particular attention to Section 3: JSON-LD Basic Keywords
>>
>> I think that may be all we need for the use cases each of you is
>> describing. Note that this does not remove the need for JSON-LD Advanced
>> (and all of the RDF mapping stuff that will need to go on in that
>> specification).
>>
>> -- manu
>>

> Manu,
>
> Some fundamental points that don't come through via the abstract:
>
> 1. Syntactic incompatibility != conceptual incompatibility
> 2. Microdata, Microformats, RDFa all provide syntax for embedding graphs
> within HTML documents
> 3. Linked Data is about using de-referencable URIs in object (resource)
> description (respresentation) oriented graphs where each URI resolves to
> a representation of its referent i.e., graph based structured data
> representation via hyperlinks.
>

> If the critical points above are easily discerned from the abstract, we
> finally have what I think most people seek: a simply spec for making
> Linked Data via a JSON based syntax.

Perhaps if there were a small section showing an embedded entity description, along with another where the entity description is in a second document and referenced from the first, that may be retrieved to get the same effect.

Doc "a"
  { "@subject": "a"; "ref": { "@subject": "b"; "prop": "foo" }}

vs.

Doc "a"
  { "@subject": "a"; "ref": "b" }

Doc "b"
  { "@subject": "b"; "prop": "foo" }

However, I don't want to impose processing requirements that require that the document be automatically retrieved. Applications that want to implement follow-your-nose LOD could choose to use this representation with implicit semantics.