Re: Quick remarks on http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/ (as of 8/23)

On Aug 29, 2011, at 09:55 , Thomas Steiner wrote:

> Hi Manu,
>
>> Fixed, I think. The previous listing had this:
> Thanks, this fixed the first issue.
>
>> Fixed. You are correct, it was a copy-paste error. I've elaborated quite a
>> bit on the intro to CURIEs.
> Excellent. Also fixed.
>
> Now only one more worry remains: @vocab and @base get only quickly
> introduced, but it is not entirely clear what differentiates them.
> They are only mentioned vaguely during the algorithm processing steps
> and as keywords. I believe at some point there was even discussion if
> we need both of them at all, or if one is sufficient. Sorry to bring
> this up again, but what was the resolution after this discussion?

What I see in the latest document is:

[[[
@base
Used to set the base IRI for all object IRIs affected by the active context.

@vocab
Used to set the base IRI for all property IRIs affected by the active context.
]]]

This means:
  - none of the two affects @subject
  - per definition or @vocab will not affect the value for @type, though I would expect that to happen

I am also not convinced that having both is really helpful here. The subtle difference on where these two can be used may become a frequent source of error I am afraid... My preference would be to pick one of the two and use it everywhere.

As an aside... I wonder whether JSON-LD should not adopt, as an advanced and optional feature, the additional vocabulary expansion approach that RDFa1.1 does on @vocab/@base. At least for RDF usage it might be extremely useful...

Ivan

> Best,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.
> http://blog.tomayac.com, http://twitter.com/tomayac

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153