Re: Quick remarks on http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/ (as of 8/23)

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:01:53 +0200
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
To: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>

On Aug 29, 2011, at 09:55 , Thomas Steiner wrote:

> Hi Manu,
>> Fixed, I think. The previous listing had this:
> Thanks, this fixed the first issue.
>> Fixed. You are correct, it was a copy-paste error. I've elaborated quite a
>> bit on the intro to CURIEs.
> Excellent. Also fixed.
> Now only one more worry remains: @vocab and @base get only quickly
> introduced, but it is not entirely clear what differentiates them.
> They are only mentioned vaguely during the algorithm processing steps
> and as keywords. I believe at some point there was even discussion if
> we need both of them at all, or if one is sufficient. Sorry to bring
> this up again, but what was the resolution after this discussion?

What I see in the latest document is:

Used to set the base IRI for all object IRIs affected by the active context.

Used to set the base IRI for all property IRIs affected by the active context.

This means:
  - none of the two affects @subject
  - per definition or @vocab will not affect the value for @type, though I would expect that to happen

I am also not convinced that having both is really helpful here. The subtle difference on where these two can be used may become a frequent source of error I am afraid... My preference would be to pick one of the two and use it everywhere.

As an aside... I wonder whether JSON-LD should not adopt, as an advanced and optional feature, the additional vocabulary expansion approach that RDFa1.1 does on @vocab/@base. At least for RDF usage it might be extremely useful...

> Best,
> Tom
> --
> Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.
> http://blog.tomayac.com, http://twitter.com/tomayac

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153