Re: Can JSON-LD cater for Talis' RDF/JSON design goals?

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:08:22 +0100
Cc: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>, Ian Davis <ian.davis@talis.com>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>, public-linked-json@w3.org
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Hi Manu,

On 29 Aug 2011, at 03:04, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> The way to do this might be to define in the spec some sort of “RDF
>> geek compatibility context” that could be used by anyone who wants a
>> very regular and direct representation of RDF triples in JSON-LD. For
>> example, my SPARQL store could use that context when serializing a
>> CONSTRUCT result to JSON-LD.
>
> I think a few lines of JavaScript could transform JSON-LD normalized form into the Talis RDF/JSON form.

Well, given that RDF/JSON is intended for use without a Javascript library, it would perhaps be better if the format didn't require post-processing.

>> If that would be possible, then I'd consider JSON-LD as addressing
>> the use cases that motivate RDF/JSON [1].
>
> I think it's possible... basically, you'd write a loop to go through each array item in JSON-LD normalized form array and create a new map that looks like the Talis RDF/JSON serialization:
>
> for obj in jsonld_normalized:
>   map[obj["@subject"]] = obj;
>   delete obj["@subject"];
>
> I think that pseudocode above basically gives you the Talis RDF/JSON format.

I think this would result in a structure that makes access to the properties of specific resources quick and painless.

Could JSON-LD be changed so that one can define an “RDF geek compatibility context” that directly results in this convenient form, without need for post-processing?

Best,
Richard