Re: JSON Emergency Brake

On 08/24/2011 05:21 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Prefixing is a good choice when there are likely to be lots of terms
> from multiple namespaces, but I think that's likely to be the
> exception than the rule in applications using JSON. We're not really
> talking general-purpose interchange here, more like Web 2.0 API-style
> data provisioning. In this context, by far the most common scenarios I
> reckon will just use a bunch of terms from a single namespace and/or a
> small total number of terms - both adequately (and more simply)
> available without prefixes.

Danny, this begs the question, doesn't it? That is, if I assume what you
say above, I come to the same conclusion that you have - we don't need
CURIEs.

However, the raw data shows us that there is quite a bit of vocabulary
mixing that is already happening out there - in TURTLE, in RDFa, etc. It
is true that these are early days and that practice might change based
on precedents like schema.org.

As for this:

 > [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/namespaces-considered-harmful

Not everyone in the Microformats community (myself included) agrees with
that position for all languages:

http://microformats.org/wiki/accepted-limitations-of-microformats#Microformat_Namespacing_Issue

Have you had a look at Section 4.1 in the latest (as of 15 minutes ago)
JSON-LD spec? What do you think of the first 3 paragraphs?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Building a Better World with Web Payments
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/better-world/