Re: IANA Considerations

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 09:00 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>
>> Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, we discussed format=context to describe the format of an @context
>>> document.
>>
>> Yes, we should add that as well. I think it would also be interesting to
>> link from a context document to a data document as Glenn proposed:
>
> Who, on this mailing list, currently needs this feature for an application
> that they're building? I'm not saying that we shouldn't do it - I'm just
> wondering who can't accomplish what they want to accomplish without this
> feature.
>
> That is, why wouldn't fetching the JSON you want to interpret as JSON-LD and
> injecting a pre-known context into the returned object work?

>>> Would something like this work for you, Glenn?
>>>
>>> {
>>>   "@context": "http://example.org/microblog",
>>>   "@data": "http://foo.bar/posts/15"
>>> }
>>
>> We could define an optional "data" or "instance" MIME type parameter for
>> JSON-LD context documents. TO link from an data/instance document to a
>> JSON-LD context document we could use a link header (RFC5988), e.g.:
>>
>> Link:<http://www.example.com/context.jsonld>; rel="describedby";
>> type="application/ld+json";
>
> This is an interesting direction. I like it because we don't have to
> introduce another keyword to JSON-LD. The down-side is that JSON REST APIs
> would have to be modified to include the Link header. That may not be
> difficult in some cases, but may be impossible in other cases. We should
> discuss it on the call.

+1 for this design choice.

This is also what JSON-Schema proposes to link instance data and
schema data (i.e. data and context in our case)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zyp-json-schema-03#section-4

I don't think that's a big deal to add this Link in the header. We can
probably assume that if a service is able to add a context in the JSON
file (a step that would be often required to make the JSON => JSON-LD
transition), it can also add the link in the header. It also saves
bandwidth when the context becomes bigger and developers just need the
JSON (or only fetching the context once in a while), and may be
another good step for adoption.

Alex.

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant - @terraces