Re: A proposal for clarification to section 4.3 HTTP POST

I guess that's fair enough. I can accept that there are different "world
views" or, perhaps, interpretations on this stuff. And perhaps that is
reason alone to side in favor of leaving it out.

To me, the following statement, which is the first under HTTP POST in the
HTTP 1.1 spec seems to indicate that, in general, POST is used for create.

"The POST method is used to request that the origin server accept the
entity enclosed in the request as a new subordinate of the resource
identified by the Request-URI in the Request-Line. "

I'm not sure I understand how a CRUD view of HTTP is misguided. Seems like
just semantics to me.

"GET and HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
other than retrieval."

OK, for me, it's hard to see how that can be much other than READ. Retrieve
/ read. Same thing, right?

The spec says PUT is the same as POST except that if the resource already
exists, it updates it (and URIs are looked at differently). To me, that's
UPDATE.

"The DELETE method requests that the origin server delete the resource
identified by the Request-URI."

The D in CRUD.

PATCH = partial modifications to a resource, which to me is just another
form of UPDATE.

I guess I am curious to know how this view is misguided. And not to be a
smart aleck; I accept that I have much to learn. And I have many colleagues
who look at it this way too. So, maybe if you get time you could elaborate
on your thoughts a little (or point me to some resource that might help
broaden my perspective).

- Cody

--
Cody Burleson