Re: A proposal for clarification to section 4.3 HTTP POST

hello cody.

On 2013-03-23 9:42 , Cody Burleson wrote:
> I just think we would do well to try to make less assumptions on the
> reader's knowledge and provide brief hints that give a little
> confirmation to what the reader is probably already assuming (for comfort).
> So, in this case, now that I've clarified that we're referring to the
> HTTP/1.1 spec, I summarize the most salient point(s) from there so that
> it is not necessary to do a cross-check.
> "Ah, yup... ok... POST for create... maybe also PUT...".

it's a valid point that many look at HTTP methods in terms of "mapping"
them to CRUD operations. however, i think it might be good to neither
confirm nor reject this world view. these are simply two different
things to talk about. we expose LDP interactions through HTTP
interactions. when they are idempotent and safe, we use GET. when they
are idempotent but not safe, we use PUT or DELETE. when they are neither
safe nor idempotent, we use POST or PATCH (maybe). that's it, that's
what HTTP defines, and we should stick to that story, and not reinforce
the misguided "CRUD understanding" of HTTP.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |