Re: A modest attempt to re-open ISSUE-20

On 3/15/13 6:55 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

>     The WG has not considered either, that there likely is a more formal
>     way to specify a Linked Data Platform. That an LDP instance could
>     consist of an RDF dataset, declarative description (ontology), and a
>     specification of the (state-machine) processor, that produces RDF
>     given input XML document and a stylesheet, the processor produces a
>     result XML.
>

> I think this is an important point. A by the hypertext requirement of
> REST a REST client should need nothing more than an entry URI and a
> shared media type to be able to fully use a REST service. No spec
> reading should be needed except for understanding the media type. Now
> for Semantic REST service in my opinion the common media type is
> trivially given and the requirement should be the common ontology. So
> the specification of a Semantic REST service is nothing but specifying
> the ontology. And ok, mandating a serialization format the service
> must support if you insist.

There is a problem of conflation that continues to adversely affect RDF
and RDF based Linked Data. At this juncture, there isn't a content-type
formalization for RDF based Linked Data.

Examples of how these problems manifest:

1. RDF (a framework comprised of: model, syntax, syntax notation, and
serialization formats) isn't the same thing as Linked Data (which is an
application of RDF for creating graphs where URIs based hyperlinks have
specific behavioral expectation or functionality)

2. The issue of relative vs absolute URIs when dealing with RDF syntax
notation which is how one expresses to an RDF processor the graph to be
serialized -- so an actual RDF graph doesn't contain relative URIs but
an expression (e.g. in Turtle via "<>" etc.) can indicate to a processor
how to determine the base URIs for the eventual serialization.

As proposed some time ago, maybe we need a content-type for RDF based
Linked Data. This would enable RDF heavy and RDF Lite solutions to be
less confused about payloads exchanged over HTTP (and any other protocol
in the future).

RDF based Linked Data Lite:

This would have content-types such as:

1. application/ld+turtle
2. application/ld+n-triples.

Note the above is similar to the approach taken re., json-ld [1] which
has content-type: application/ld+json . It SHOULD also allays the
concerns of the RESTafari.

RDF based Linked Data Full:

This stays as is with the additional requirement for RDF based Linked
Data processors to treat the content-types above as a more precise
indication of Linked Data principles [2] adherence. Note, these
principles outline specific behavior of HTTP URIs with regards to RDF
model based graphs.

RDF:

Nothing changes, clients can continue to express RDF model based graphs
using all existing syntax notations. Same applies to handling of actual
graph serialization formats. There is no assumption that RDF == Linked
Data.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-json-ld-syntax-20120712/ -- JSON-LD .
2. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html -- TimBL's meme that