Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-19: Adressing more error cases, as is

On 6/5/13 3:09 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> On 2013-06-05 11:04 , Henry Story wrote:
>> On 5 Jun 2013, at 18:52, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>> whatever makes you happy. it doesn't really matter here which RDF
>>> serialization we talk about, since they currently all function in
>>> the same way: on the media type level, there is no indication of the
>>> model, there only is an indication of the metamodel. i just picked
>>> text/turtle because that seems to be the preferred RDF serialization
>>> these days.
>> I don't know the terms model and metamode. I do know syntax.
>> Text/turtle is a language identifier that tells you how
>> to interpret the syntax.
>
> hope this helps:
> http://dret.typepad.com/dretblog/2009/08/data-models-metamodels-cosmologies.html
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

Here's why you post doesn't help, it makes no mention of Relations.

A Relation is a set of Relationships.

A SQL RDBMS represents Relationships using Records. The Relations is
denoted by a Table Name, it is comprised of a set of Relationships.

A so-called Graph DBMS (which has been called many things over the years
from CODASYL/Network --> Deductive --> Object Oriented -->
Object-Relational --> Graph / Property Graph etc..) represents
Relationships using Statements or Claims (either way: Propositions). The
Relation is denoted by the Predicate/Property of the Statement that
represents the claim or proposition. Basically, the Relation is a set of
statement/claims/propositions.

RDF has taken on the admirable task of decoupling Data from the tyranny
of RDBMS products. In the process though, many of its evangelists and
narrators got a little too giddy and opted to pile everything into the
RDF bucket. Net effect, eternal confusion.

Your post is full of generic terminology presented is a confusing
matrix. It looks nice, but its doesn't actually address the reality of Data.

BTW -- "Data" is a literal denotation of the concept of using entity
relationships to express observation. I you agree to that definition,
you are on you way to really groking and appreciating RDF and the real
problems its addresses when combined with HTTP URIs (or other URIs for
which resolvers exist).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen