Re: LDP would benefit from being RESTful

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:04:33 +0100
Cc: public-ldp@w3.org, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Hi all,

On 16 Nov 2012, at 19:57, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> However, as I show in my ESWC LAPIS2012 presentation, see
> http://folk.uio.no/kjekje/2012/lapis2012.xhtml
> RDF can be made to be a very powerful hypermedia type by fairly trivial
> means. In fact, it can easily meet all but one of Amundsen's criteria (I
> just realised that LE can be met using data URIs).
>
> I've been talking with people F2F on ISWC about this, and I hope I have
> convinced some that this is the direction one should be going. And I really
> don't think this is out of the scope of the charter, to the contrary, if
> this is done right, it is what the charter really means. :-)

As one of the people who discussed this with Kjetil,
I think it *really* makes sense to try so see things from this perspective.
Just like Mark said, I believe were too much in the process
of making a protocol at HTTP level,
while LDP is the chance to do something different.

So the crucial question is:
is it still possible to go in a fundamentally different discussion
than the one were going in right now (even if its just trying)?

At the moment, this seems hard, since a lot of the spec is already there.
But this alone should not be a justification to continue the way were going.

Best,

Ruben