Re: LDP would benefit from being RESTful

On Wednesday 14. November 2012 13.58.33 David Booth wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 10:28 -0800, Erik Wilde wrote:
> > [ . . .  ] RDF isn't
> > RESTful it itself because it's not a hypermedia format.
>
> Huh?  I'm baffled by that comment.  Why do you say RDF is not a
> hypermedia format?   For one thing, RDF is composed almost entirely of
> URIs, i.e., links.  How much more link-ful can you get?

Erik is partially right: By itself, RDF is a hypermedia format only on a
very, very superficial level.

I'd like to encourage everybody to do the exercise to go Mike Amundsen's
hypermedia classification: http://amundsen.com/hypermedia/hfactor/
You will quickly realize that RDF, out of the box, is a hypermedia only on
the LO level.

However, as I show in my ESWC LAPIS2012 presentation, see
http://folk.uio.no/kjekje/2012/lapis2012.xhtml
RDF can be made to be a very powerful hypermedia type by fairly trivial
means. In fact, it can easily meet all but one of Amundsen's criteria (I
just realised that LE can be met using data URIs).

I've been talking with people F2F on ISWC about this, and I hope I have
convinced some that this is the direction one should be going. And I really
don't think this is out of the scope of the charter, to the contrary, if
this is done right, it is what the charter really means. :-)

Best,

Kjetil