Re: How to find the members of an LDPC?

hello eric.

On 2013-11-06, 14:53 , "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> wrote:
>Yeah, the client shared it after getting it back from the server that
>created the resource, or some other client interrogated the container
>and found some member which matched some interesting properties.
>The text I was replying to is included above: "But that only allows
>the client that POSTed the resource to know the address of the LDPR
>created. It would be useful if other clients could also find that
>resource by asking the LDPC." This implies to me that some other
>client is known to be interested in a resource as it is created.
>What protocol does this imply? Is it that some client subscribes to
>every new resource created by POST to a container? Is it that it has a
>special pairing with the POSTing client but the POSTing client won't
>share the newly created resource?

looking at it from a feedish perspective again: a variety of protocol
models can be based on collection/item patterns, but the ability to
discover new resources via hypermedia controls seems like the necessary
first step without which nothing else will work.

in feed-land, there's no push. when clients pull, they may find new
resources. if a new URI shows up, something new has been created.

a little while ago, PuSH was suggested that would move this to a push
model based on hubs that clients can subscribe to, and then there's a
callback-driven protocol. but the latest PuSH draft totally went off the
reservation and has hollowed out the protocol beyond anything meaningful
(i guess executives would now talk about it as a "protocol framework"), so
maybe PuSH is not such a great pick anymore.

regardless of the protocol and the interactions you're trying to support
through it, the ability to discover resources seems like a REST 101
feature that might be the first thing that anybody using LDP would want to
have.