Re: Issue 79 ldp:contains drafted

On 8 Jul 2013, at 23:47, Steven Battle <steven.a.battle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Henry,
> I like this use of ldp:contains. Personally, I'd go further and permit the client to assert ldp:contains when it wishes to places an existing resource under the control of a container regardless of whether it was originally created by that container. Conversely, I'd allow ldp:contains to be deleted by the client, so as to remove an object from a container. Together these operations would support the use-case of moving a resource between containers. See UC&R 4.2.3. I believe this would be consistent with everything you'e written below.

So we agree with the following:

ldp:contains a owl:InverseFunctionalProperty;
   rdfs:domain ldp:Container;
   rdfs:range xxx:InformationResource .

ie:  a resource an only be contained in one container.

I want to say

  ldp:contains rdfs:subPropertyOf ldp:created .

but you don't. You want to tie containership only to deletion semantics.
Delete a resource and you MUST delete the relation from the LDPC that
was the subject of a true ldp:contains statement about it.

The problem I see pretty soon, is that when you go down that road, someone
is then going to question the owl:InverseFunctionalProperty part of your
requirement. They will say: why restrict things that much? Why not have
a contains relation that has many different subjects?  Then the deletion
semantics will come up. Well, someone could then  argue: should a server not just be
consistent in any case with relations like that. And then you are back
to rdf:member, perhaps with a completely generic rule: If you delete a resource
then any triple that uses that URI or  #URIs declared within that resource
should  be deleted from every document on the server. But as you can see
this is much more ambitious.

I can argue for the  owl:InverseFunctionalProperty because I tie it to ldp:created .

What we are missing is the LDPC deletion piece that Tim Berners Lee suggested
we put in, but that we then removed because we felt recursive deletion was too
strong. I suggest we add a note to LDPC deletion:

   An ldp:Container can only be deleted if all it's ldp:created members are
deleted.

  You presumably would like to put this in terms of ldp:contains, with the
possibility of having the ldp:contains relation moved.

  So in summary: the advantage of ldp:created or an ldp:contains based on it
is
   + that it is very simple to implement
   + weak consistency requirements: The resource that creates a resource
    is the only one that needs to track what happens when a resource is deleted.
    This is both easy to understand and easy to implement.
   + If you add ISSUE-50 then you even make it easy for an admin to know
     where to search for container memberships: it is easy to find the URI
    space responsible.

As soon as you move to more complex scenarios of moving deletion
responsibility, you create new issues eg:
   - new issues that slowly move you from MUST language to  SHOULD or MAY
    language
   - we have no protocolar way to specify how to move an ldp:contains
relation
  - It seems that these properties could easily be added in other ways,
    such as by using rdfs:member with strong consistency requirements
    across the server.