Re: Model questions

On 29 Jan 2013, at 15:42, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:

> hello henry.
>
> On 2013-01-29 10:03 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> By sending a create-collection message  (eg MKCOL ) to a collection that
>> allows collection  creation. If you follow the parents of such collection
>> up you inevitably end up with a root collection:  you can never do
>> without
>> a root collection.
>
> that's assuming that there is a homogeneous hierarchy.

Which seems a very reasonable requirement on ldp:Container creation
from inside an ldp:Container.

> that's certainly
> one way to do it, but you will find numerous systems out there where the
> highest level is something different and something special,

A root collection is special: it has no parents. You mean like soemthing
completely different right?

> because often it requires special privileges to be created, and also often questions of
> authorization are associated with that highest level.

Yes, that's my argument root collections have to be created in some other
manner.

> AtomPub defers that question of creation to out-of-scope, but still has
> such a concept, the workspace. a workspace just exists, and contains
> collections. the model there was to have workspaces associated with what
> in today's cloud parlance would be "tenants".

Sounds like that is a completely different thing then from an ldp:Container,
and that it does not in any way mean that ldp:Containers cannot create an
ldp:Container.

>> If you reject the idea of a root collection then you end up
>> with an infinite regress here. Because of whatever R you come up with as
>> the
>> thing that will create the root collection, you will be able to ask
>> with equal justification of R how do you produce it.
>
> yes you can ask, but we as a group can say "that's out of scope and some
> admin just does it."

Indeed. That is why it makes me think of a root container. But it is something
completely different. And so there is no reason why it should interfere
with the ability to create ldp:Containers in ldp:Containers.