Re: MKCOL for making collections

hello henry.

On 2013-01-23 09:55 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>On 23 Jan 2013, at 09:31, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:
>>ashok was asking "where do you start *on the LDP server*"? of course
>> anything can link you *to* a service, but *where* in this service are
>>you
>> being linked? all but the most trivial services have resources that are
>> more convenient starting points, and ones that aren't (because you need
>> traverse more links to get to certain other things you might be
>>interested
>> in). we should have an answer to people who ask "i am writing a LDP
>>client
>> and i am wondering where to best point it to".
>I understand the question. But from the point of view of making the
>collection, it does not matter. The collection itself is the place that
>is authoritative on what one can do with it and what it is.

again, you're assuming sub-containers, in which case i agree that we
should include links in containers that provide interaction affordances
for creating sub-containers.

>Are you serious in this argument?! Let me give you a reductio of absurdum
>of your argument: continuing on your line of thought one could ask
>next how does one start with the Home Document? Who creates that home
>document? Does that Home Document also need a document to create it?
>Perhaps someone could suggest a Fundamental Home Document. And that
>Fundamental Home Document needs perhaps a creation document too!

all depends on the data model we're defining. if there always only is one
root container by definition, your model works. if an LDP server can
manage any number of non-hierarchical collections (and allows creation of
new ones), it doesn't. and the home document exists because that is what
LDP defines, so it always exists on every LDP server by definition. it's
the bottom turtle.