Re: MKCOL for making collections

On 23 Jan 2013, at 09:31, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:

> hello henry.
>
> On 2013-01-22 23:23 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> On 22 Jan 2013, at 23:12, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
>> wrote:
>>> The question is how do you start?  Where do you get the URI for the
>>> first LDPC?
>> Ashok that does not matter at all. You start from anywhere on the web.
>> Think about it: where do you get the first link for any good story
>> you see on the web. From anywhere! From a friend, from  Google, from
>> from a tweet, from a bug, from a TV show. It should not matter from
>> where you get it.
>
> ashok was asking "where do you start *on the LDP server*"? of course
> anything can link you *to* a service, but *where* in this service are you
> being linked? all but the most trivial services have resources that are
> more convenient starting points, and ones that aren't (because you need to
> traverse more links to get to certain other things you might be interested
> in). we should have an answer to people who ask "i am writing a LDP client
> and i am wondering where to best point it to".

I understand the question. But from the point of view of making the
collection, it does not matter. The collection itself is the place that
is authoritative on what one can do with it and what it is.

>> On the other hadn once you are in the collection, and knowing it is one,
>> know how to make another collection ( assuming you have the rights to,
>> and indeed discovering that you have the rights to, should also be visible
>> to you from the collection ).
>
> that's only the case if we include link for creating collections in
> collections. which may be a good idea if we are supporting the creation of
> sub-collections. but the question of how to create collections that are
> not sub-collections still remains.

Simple: You start with a root collection.

Are you serious in this argument?! Let me give you a reductio of absurdum
of your argument: continuing on your line of thought one could ask
next how does one start with the Home Document? Who creates that home
document? Does that Home Document also need a document to create it?
Perhaps someone could suggest a Fundamental Home Document. And that
Fundamental Home Document needs perhaps a creation document too!

> practically speaking, it's not possible to include links for all
> interaction affordances from all resources. there often are simply too
> many, and also for state-changing interactions, clients need to follow a
> certain path through interactions.

the nice thing about MKCOL is that you don't need any of those
links and none of that infrastructure.