Re: Issue-37: Ontological Modelling

hello henry.

On 2013-01-22 15:03 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>On 22 Jan 2013, at 14:34, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
>wrote:
>>Erik's solution will work.
>> You either POST to a collection which will create the LDPR
>You POST a Graph or a binary to a collection,  right? Those are pretty
>much complementary classes of things.

let's not mix the three cases we may want to clearly specify:

1. how to POST a self-contained entry.
2. how to POST an entry that's only protocol metadata and links to the
entry's content.
3. how to POST something that's not RDF.

for me, the simplest model is to treat 1 and 2 the same and simply
distinguish them by what you're POSTing. like i said, the server doesn't
even need to care, it behaves in exactly the same way. the only difference
is in what you POST, and how the "complete entry" (LDP protocol data plus
content) has to be retrieved by a client (one GET in the self-contained
case, two GETs in the linked case).

3 is different because we're POSTing something that's a non-RDF media
type. i still think atompub is a good model to look at: POST it to a
special collection which handles non-RDF things (and advertises its
supported media types through the LDP protocol), let the LDP server store
the blob, and generate an RDF entry as a proxy. from then on, manage both
concurrently, i.e. DELETEing one will DELETE the other.