Re: Issue-37: Ontological Modelling

On 22 Jan 2013, at 14:34, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Henry:
> Erik's solution will work.
> You either POST to a collection which will create the LDPR

You POST a Graph or a binary to a collection,  right? Those are pretty much complementary
classes of things.

> or you do a POST which will create a link to an already existing LDPR.

You would POST what to the collection?
Whatever you POST can be interpreted as a graph or a binary, and so falls into the previous model of
creating a  new LDPR.

> When you delete the collection all the members are deleted.  The members may be LDPRs - which gives the containment semantic - or they may be links to LDPRs which gives the aggregation semantic.

Currently at the protocol level a ldp:Container and an ldp:Resource have
exclusive methods of interaction, which is why those types of objects do not
have any members in common.

That does not mean that you cannot create different subProperties
of rdfs:member such that one requires deletion and the other not.
Call the one that requires deltion ldp:contains. The problem is that:

  1. you can only add ldp:contains to an ldp:Container, and the
   deletion property be true.
  2. You have no way of adding with a POST other an rdf:member property
    to a ldp:Collection that is not an ldp:contains relation at present
    ( Perhaps by PATCHing an ldp:Container? That has not been defined though)

In any case distinguishing such a relation would not change that
ldp:Containers and ldp:Aggregations are very different things.