Re: NEW ISSUE Can a Client Set the Page Size?

From: Wilde, Erik <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 05:36:10 -0500
To: John Arwe <johnarwe@us.ibm.com>, "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
hello john.

On 2013-02-13 14:09 , "John Arwe" <johnarwe@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>We had trouble enough getting consensus amongst our own product groups
>(Erik's "very bad" flaw being one I raised) about the paging approach
>generally that we chose to simplify by omitting it from the submission.
>We can't
> solve everything in a single go and still have it finish soon enough to
>be relevant, so we put it on the "good follow-on discussion" pile.

just as a follow-up: while client-controlled paging (requesting specific
page sizes and specific pages) gets a little more involved when it should
be done RESTfully (because these request parameters probably should be
exposed via URI templates), the "cheap" solution is much easier. for
server-controlled paging, there simply can be "next" and "previous" links
(and a few more) exposed in a way similar to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5005 . in this case, no templates are
required, but clients still can happily page through results (but they
cannot control the paging process, or request specific pages).

cheers,

dret.