Re: ldp-ISSUE-10 (Guidance around ETags): Include clarifications and guidance around ETags [Linked Data Platform core]

Hi,

+1 to using weak etags, for the good reasons mentionned above. This is what
I resort to in the platform I am building.

Note however that, in strict HTTP 1.1, weak etags can not be used for
validation of PUT content. Section "14.24 If-match" of RFC2616 says

A server MUST use the strong comparison function (see section 13.3.3)
to compare the entity tags in If-Match.

This restriction no longer exists in HTTPbis, so I take that as an
ackowledgement that the restriction above was a misfeature. But I guess
everyone should be aware of that if the group decides to go that path
(which, again, I'm in favor of).

I also think we should be clear about the rationale of using weak etags.
For example, something like:

The server MAY provide a strong etag (ref), but only if it can guarantee
that the same graph will always be serialized the exact same way
(byte-wise). This is not always the case, as the order of triples or blank
node labels are not significant in RDF and may vary across serializations.
If the server can not ensure that, the etags it provides MUST be weak etags
(ref).

  pa