Re: decentralized use cases

On 12 Jul 2012, at 17:13, <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:

> hello henry.
>
> On 2012-07-12 14:15 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> In my view the best way to do that is to use WebID for authentication
>> ( see video at http://webid.info/ and the spec at http://webid.info/spec )
>> and access control ontologies as for example demonstrated in the README
>> on https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/read-write-web/
>> The advantage of WebID is it ties right into LinkedData and you can use
>> it to
>> build webs of trust. I am working on building much more interesting
>> demonstrations.
>
> to me, this looks mostly like an way of implementing the first concern,
> and does not address the second one. in terms of implementing the first
> concern, very often you have to design and build platforms so that
> existing clients and applications can build on top of them; telling your
> enterprise and customer ecosystem components to all convert to WebID thus
> is often not an option.

Every application that is web centric already has TLS built in. So adding
this type of behaviour is quite easy. If you are asking them
to use LinkedData, then WebID is a very minor thing. It's just publishing another
resource on the system you are trying to build. In such a closed environment you can
even use LDPA urls for your WebID. Something we could work on standardising if
you found a company to care enough about it.

Otherwise you can of course also tie this into other authentication systems.

Henry