Re: query your API

From: Wilde, Erik <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:45:59 -0500
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
CC: "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>, Roger Menday <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com>
hello andy.

On 10 Dec 2012, at 07:29, "Andy Seaborne" <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>> we had some agreement that we cannot depend on LDP being implemented on
>> top of a SPARQL-capable back-end. which means that any generic SPARQL
>> capabilities are not possible. instead, we need LDP-specific query
>> capabilities, specifying queries of the LDP model.
> Yes, to not depend on SPARQL.
> But another query language seems to make LDP a system that is costly to
> integrate into a wider app situation.  Would it be more than "find
> resources such that ..."?  If so, there is a whole infratsructure (e.g.
> results formats) that may need defining.

most services don't define their own full-fledged query languages. typically they define simple filtering, maybe supporting AND/OR when they're fancy, and then they reuse the existing format for listing filtered collection contents. paging then can be reused as well.

> At least, define it by a mapping to SPARQL rather than define a
> independent QL.

a mapping to SPARQL could be part of the implementation hints for people who are implementing on SPARQL back-ends, but that would be strictly informative.

cheers,

dret.