Re: HTML5 and URI scheme *name* prefixes

On 1/14/2012 5:16 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I'm in the process of writing a Change Proposal asking for a removal
> of this feature. In the meantime, it would be useful if the WG came up
> with "official" feedback on overloading the scheme name.

<hat type="individual" />

Is this the first example of a scheme prefix like "web+" overloading the
scheme name?  I'm not clear on the history, use cases, and the impetus
behind "web+".  Generally speaking, it seems that a great deal of care
has been put into the registration process for scheme names, and that
the "web+" prefix sidesteps all of that, albeit limited to the prefix.

Surely there's good reason for due diligence in the scheme registration
process, right?  And speaking as someone who does a lot of Web
application penetration testing, one of my first thoughts when I saw
this, with eyebrows raised really high, was 'let the fun begin'...

Best regards,
Chris Weber