Re: HTML5 and URI scheme *name* prefixes

On 2012/01/16 15:55, Chris Weber wrote:
>> I'm in the process of writing a Change Proposal asking for a removal
>> of this feature. In the meantime, it would be useful if the WG came up
>> with "official" feedback on overloading the scheme name.
>>
> <hat type="individual" />
>
> Is this the first example of a scheme prefix like "web+" overloading the
> scheme name?

See Julian's reply.

> I'm not clear on the history, use cases, and the impetus
> behind "web+".

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/), in particular at the
thread starting at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Jan/thread.html#msg28.

> Generally speaking, it seems that a great deal of care
> has been put into the registration process for scheme names, and that
> the "web+" prefix sidesteps all of that, albeit limited to the prefix.

I don't think there is any intention to sidestep the registration
process. Future schemes, whether with or without the web+ prefix, would
still go though the same registration process.

> Surely there's good reason for due diligence in the scheme registration
> process, right?  And speaking as someone who does a lot of Web
> application penetration testing, one of my first thoughts when I saw
> this, with eyebrows raised really high, was 'let the fun begin'...

Can you be a bit more specific about the dangers you see?

Regards,    Martin.