Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 2011-06-23 20:17, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 6/23/11 2:15 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> * Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>> What that means is that it's impossible to implement section 4.4 by
>>> canonicalizing all URIs into absolute URIs. All URIs used by a system
>>> have to remember whether they were "same-document" references (which you
>>> only know at URI creation time) and if so need to know what document
>>> they're associated with to be properly retrieved.
>>
>> I see no reason why "creation time" would have anything to do with this.
>> It's not a concept that's mentioned in RFC 3986, so I don't see why you
>> would use it when discussing concepts defined in RFC 3986.
>
> Time matters because base URIs are not time-invariant, so the language
> in 4.4 presupposes that the comparison to a base URI is performed at a
> particular instant in time. Which instant is that? If it's not creation
> time, what other time is involved?

What do you mean by "creation time"?

RFC 3986 doesn't care.

It tells how to parse things, and how to resolve one thing against one
other.

If one of these things changes over time that of course affects the
result, but it's up to the spec that allows these things to change to
specify the details.

Best regards, Julian