Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 6/23/11 2:15 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> What that means is that it's impossible to implement section 4.4 by
>> canonicalizing all URIs into absolute URIs.  All URIs used by a system
>> have to remember whether they were "same-document" references (which you
>> only know at URI creation time) and if so need to know what document
>> they're associated with to be properly retrieved.
>
> I see no reason why "creation time" would have anything to do with this.
> It's not a concept that's mentioned in RFC 3986, so I don't see why you
> would use it when discussing concepts defined in RFC 3986.

Time matters because base URIs are not time-invariant, so the language
in 4.4 presupposes that the comparison to a base URI is performed at a
particular instant in time.  Which instant is that?  If it's not
creation time, what other time is involved?

-Boris