Re: IDNA, IRI, HTML5 coordination

On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> As for HTML5, I have heard repeatedly about projections for last
> call similar to the ones you give below. But what's the timeline
> after that? If that's another last call in six months, and CR in a
> year, then it may be possible for the IRI side to catch up. (Last
> Call in the IETF is 2 weeks for WGs, 4 weeks for documents that
> didn't go through a WG.) Just a thought, no idea at all whether it
> makes any sense.

My expectation is that we will not enter CR until at ;east a year
after the start of our first Last Call. Due to the size, scope and
impact of the spec, I expect we will need an unusually long Last Call
period, and that we will receive a large number of comments which will
take some time to address. And I expect the changes made based on
comments to require a second Last Call.

So this means that even if we use an interim solution for our first
Last Call, IRI will have time to catch up and we will be able to
update the reference before CR.

> In my view, the ideal outcome would be that Larry and Michel and me
> have a draft that works for everybody involved by the Hiroshima
> IETF, we have a BOF there, and we decide that the work is already
> done and everybody is happy so no WG is needed.
>
> There is still some time until the Hiroshima IETF, and Larry and me
> have reserved some time to work together in early October, so there
> is at least a slight chance that this might work out, but on the
> other hand, there are a few points on which Larry and me currently
> have very differing opinions, to the extent that I'm not sure we
> could even write a reasonable charter for a potential IETF WG. I
> very much hope that this will change. For more details, please see
> the technical thread.

The Hiroshima IETF Meeting is November 8-13, right? This might be too
late for our first Last Call, it will either be after we enter LC or
at the very last minute. Thus, I'm still concerned about what we
should do while waiting for the updated IRI specification.

Regards,
Maciej