RE: IDNA, IRI, HTML5 coordination

> Is this one to consider?:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/

This W3C note (dated 2001) predates RFC 3986
(dated 2005), so on the face of it, it shouldn't
be necessary. The primary concern should be
conflicting advice and specifications from
*current* and *in preparation* documents.

> Also, what is the specific problem, or pain,
> that this initiative will address?

While having documents in conflict with widely
deployed implementations is a general pain
which we should work to correct, specifically

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#urls

contains:

> NOTE: The term "URL" in this specification is used
> in a manner distinct from the precise technical
> meaning it is given in RFC 3986. Readers familiar
> with that RFC will find it easier to read this
> specification if they pretend the term "URL" as
> used herein is really called something else
> altogether. This is a willful violation of
>  RFC 3986. [RFC3986]

which (as a co-editor of RFC 3986, a member of the W3C
HTML-WG and a member of the W3C Technical Architecture
Group) gives me a specific pain. I'm trying to
complete the action items I took on in W3C HTML-WG
and W3C TAG to help resolve issues raised around
incompatible specifications.

Whether or not this initiative completes in
time to get the HTML text updated before the
W3C HTML working group decides to declare
"last call", the fact that the IETF documents
are, in fact, not suitable for direct citation
by those wishing to describe deployed
browser behavior seems like something the
IETF can correct.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net