Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] differences from HTML5 algorithm

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:57:40 +0200, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>> This essentially says that you MAY send data from a form in the document
>> encoding, and was followed well by browsers. It seems that some browser
>> implementer along the way extended that to query parts in other URIs (which
>> don't have anything to do with <form>), and got stuck with it.

I don't know which browser version first did this. I don't even know
which vendor. It may have been Netscape or MSIE (or ...).

But look at it from the point of view of the server. The server cannot
tell whether the incoming URI is from an HTML <form> or an HTML <a>.
So it would be nice if the browser treated both the same way.

(Unfortunately, this means that <a href="..."> with query parts that
have nothing to do with HTML forms (i.e. name=value[&] pairs) also get
converted back to the original encoding, but I agree with Anne that it
is too late now to change this.)

>> This is especially unlucky as for <form>, you can just say
>> accept-charset='utf-8', and get all the data sent in UTF-8,

Does this work in all major browsers? (I don't know; I haven't tested it.)

Erik