Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] differences from HTML5 algorithm

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:57:40 +0200, Martin J. Dürst
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> The most relevant text in HTML4 on URIs is at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.1, and specifies to
> use UTF-8, independent of the part of the URI.

For what I stated the most relevant bit is the note below about "some
older user agents", I think.

> This essentially says that you MAY send data from a form in the document
> encoding, and was followed well by browsers. It seems that some browser
> implementer along the way extended that to query parts in other URIs
> (which don't have anything to do with <form>), and got stuck with it.

I very much doubt this happened post-HTML4. Anyway, too late now.

> This is especially unlucky as for <form>, you can just say
> accept-charset='utf-8', and get all the data sent in UTF-8, but there is
> no such attribute on a@href and others.

There's a document-wide switch named UTF-8.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/