Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] editorial

Hello Julian,

On 2009/09/10 19:10, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>> Well, probably we are actually going to do that. The reason for this
>> is that we want to avoid XML specs to allow as much garbage as HTML5
>> (for some specific cases) allows, and that HTML5 does some tweaking
>> that we don't want to leak to XML. If it turns out that there is
>> another major ...
>
> Martin,
>
> I think it would be very good to precisely describe these two areas.
>
> Wrt "...to avoid XML specs to allow as much garbage as HTML5...": as far
> as I can tell LEIRIs already allow any characters except surrogate code
> units.

Yes.

> Are HTML5-URLs allowing these; and if yes, is that a serious
> problem?

My guess is that they are allowing them, but I'd have to check. Anyway,
what I was talking about was more things that HTML5 allowed, or did
differently from IRIs, where LEIRIs followed the IRI spec. That includes
special processing for query parts in some cases, and allowing things
like '%' without two following hex characters.

Regards,   Martin.