RE: HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL; change definition of URL to normative reference to IRIBIS

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:42:44 -0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@w3.org>
> I'm assuming this is intended as a Change Proposal for ISSUE-56 urls-
> webarch (mentioning that so the tracker finds it).

Yes, the "HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL" was addressed to

> My understanding of this proposal is that you'd like the proposed
> changes to be made once the IRI Working Group forms and has a draft
> with all the necessary definitions. If that understanding is correct,
> then I think we should take up this proposal once those preconditions
> have been met. If I have misunderstood, then please clarify.

No. Waiting for preconditions would create an unfortunate and
unnecessary deadlock. The current internet draft

is sufficient to consider the HTML WG proposal now. Any definition
thought "necessary" and not contained in -07 should be treated
as an issue/change proposal to it.

draft-duerst-iri-bis-07 is the proposed starting point of the IRI
working group, and changes or additions should be made as the
result of participation, discussion and consensus on the
public-iri@w3.org mailing list, including the participation
of members of the browser vendor and broader HTML community.