RE: HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL; change definition of URL to normative reference to IRIBIS

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:42:44 -0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@w3.org>
> I'm assuming this is intended as a Change Proposal for ISSUE-56 urls-
> webarch (mentioning that so the tracker finds it).

Yes, the "HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL" was addressed to

> My understanding of this proposal is that you'd like the proposed
> changes to be made once the IRI Working Group forms and has a draft
> with all the necessary definitions. If that understanding is correct,
> then I think we should take up this proposal once those preconditions
> have been met. If I have misunderstood, then please clarify.

No. Waiting for preconditions would create an unfortunate and
unnecessary deadlock. The current internet draft
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-07

is sufficient to consider the HTML WG proposal now. Any definition
thought "necessary" and not contained in -07 should be treated
as an issue/change proposal to it.

draft-duerst-iri-bis-07 is the proposed starting point of the IRI
working group, and changes or additions should be made as the
result of participation, discussion and consensus on the
public-iri@w3.org mailing list, including the participation
of members of the browser vendor and broader HTML community.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net