Re: phishing in IRIs

Hello Shawn,

On 2009/11/25 4:44, Shawn Steele wrote:
> We're getting WAY off topic.

I agree.

> Is there a BCP for IRI security?

No. The IETF has a tradition of putting security considerations in the
main document, not as a separate document.

>> So trying to spoof the path is indeed another technique, but in most
>> cases, it doesn't work because there is a single authority in control of
>> all the paths on the same domain. So that's why I'm saying that the main
>> place where spoofing can happen in IRIs is the IDN part.
>
> But that only works for you because you know how paths work!

Yes. I don't think we actually disagree.

What you are saying is that spoofing because people don't look at
IRIs/URIs at all is a much greater problem than spoofing with lookalikes
and the like. I fully agree.

What I am saying is that spoofing of IRIs with the domain name part is a
much greater problem than spoofing with IRIs in the rest of the IRI.

Overall, it's like you saying that one kilometer is bigger than one
meter, and me saying that one millimeter is greater than one micrometer.
(sorry I don't have a non-metric equivalent for these examples)

Regards,    Martin.