Re: Fwd: Re: HRRIs, IRIs, etc

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:04:25 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, public-iri@w3.org
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

>[...]
>   It also says: "A string is a legal Human Readable Resource Identifier
>   if and only if the string generated by applying the encoding rules
>   above is a legal IRI."

> - The current XML spec gives the following procedure of how to convert
>   from a system identifier to an URI (summarized):
>   Convert all the above characters, plus all characters above 0x7F,
>   to %HH-encoding via UTF-8.

> - The IRI spec excludes private use characters from all but the query part.
>   (there are other smaller differences, but for the moment, this is enough)

I don't think we realised that there was a difference here.  We just
thought that we could shorten the description by converting to IRIs
instead of URIs.

> - Refine the definition of conversion to an IRI in the HRRI spec.
>   My guess is that this can be done, but will look ugly.

Or we could go back to converting to URIs.

Presumably the IRI spec allows %HH sequences that correspond to
private use characters?  If so, HRRI could add private use characters
to the list to be encoded to produce an IRI.

-- Richard