How to refer to IRI's

From: Ray Whitmer <raydwhitmer@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:52:11 -0600
To: public-iri@w3.org

As we work on the DOM Level 3 specification, the DOM WG is struggling
with a couple of issues, which are probably related, on which we would
appreciate any insignts:

1.  How do we refer normatively to the IRI specification now, since we
are producing documents which are progressing rapidly.

2.  How do we generically refer to "Resource Identifiers" so that when
the Next Great Thing after URIs and IRIs comes along, after URIs and
IRIs, users of the specification can just use them instead of waiting
for the DOM specification to be updated to permit it.  I was going to
just start calling them RIS's, Resource Identifier Strings, and then map
that to present-day IRIs and URIs for the present, and anything in the
future that may come along.

Thanks,

Ray Whitmer
DOM WG Chair