Re: Some issues with the IRI document [legacyNFC-06]

At 15:31 03/04/16 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>At 1:52 PM -0400 4/16/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>>What we are talking about here is that e.g. you receive an email
>>from Vietnam encoded in windows-1258, and this email contains
>>an IRI with some Vietnamese characters. Then to convert this
>>IRI into an URI, you have to use variant B) of step 1) in section
>>3.1, which will apply NFC when converting to Unicode in order
>>to convert the decompositions that occur in windows-1258 into
>>precomposed characters before then converting into UTF-8 and
>>using %-escaping.
>
>OK, I think I understand, but let me ask to be clear. Are you saying that
>you must know the encoding of the context that the IRI appears in? If so,
>I didn't catch that fact, and it should probably be stated before the examples.

I have changed variant B) in step 1) of section 3.1 from

    If the IRI is in some digital representation
    (e.g. an octet stream) in some non-Unicode encoding:
    Convert the IRI to a sequence of characters from the UCS
    normalized according to NFC.

    If the IRI is in some digital representation
    (e.g. an octet stream) in some *known* non-Unicode encoding:
    Convert the IRI to a sequence of characters from the UCS
    normalized according to NFC.

(emphasis only here).

Do you think that this helps, or do you think that other changes
are needed?

Regards,    Martin.