Re: Some issues with the IRI document

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:05:21 -0400
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, public-iri@w3.org

At 08:14 03/04/08 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>Clarifications:

>Subsection (c) in 1.2 is a mess and is probably where I really lost it.
>The first sentence has too many subordinate clauses in it. But worse, you
>introduce UTF-8. That's where I got confused about characters vs.
>encoding. I still don't know why UTF-8 is brought up here. I propose that
>you start over on this subsection.

This is listed as issue
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit#applicabilityUTF8-10

I have reworded the first sentence of 1.2 c) and in effect
rewritten the whole paragraph. I realized that the examples
that followed belonged just to point c), but looked like
they belonged to the whole section. But this is just about
applicability. So I left just a short paragraph for c),
with a pointer to a new section 5.4
(see http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html#UTF8use).
I put it there because 5.3 already discusses details of
point b) of section 1.2.

Regards,    Martin.