iadditional-00 (issue discussion)

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:03:48 -0700
To: <public-iri@w3.org>

(I think we should go through the issues
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/
and see if we can resolve them.)

Re iadditional-00
As noted at the URI BOF and the discussion there, I have
moved my own position on this issue (iadditional-00) from
being somewhat agnostic to being firmly against adding
any characters in IRIs within the US-ASCII range that are
not allowed in URIs.  I also see no problem in allowing
characters outside of the US-ASCII range.

The issue is not "spaces are bad", the issue is
"US-ASCII spaces should not be allowed". The fact that
there are other Unicode space characters may mean that
non-ASCII spaces are "allowed", but there should be
another category of "allowed but a really bad idea",
which might well include "Upper-case Greek Alpha otherwise
within a segment of US-ASCII letters".

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net