Re: Cryptoconditions-based escrow

This is indeed a very interesting thread. In fact it is the very reason that I lobbied for the “notary” addition to ILP that enables atomic mode.

The notary concept was intended to build on top of the  crypto-condition system.

In my mind, for ILP there are two important questions that apply to an ILP transaction:
 1. Did the “key” crypto-condition happen?     [ Did Bob sign the receipt promising to deliver the goods to Alice. ]
 2. Did the “key” crypto-condition happen BEFORE some particular time?   [ Did Bob beat the pre-agreed deadline? ]

The first question works well enough with the model:
 a. I can prove “key" happened.  TRUE
 b. I can’t yet prove “key" happened. DON’T KNOW

However, the second question requires a different model:
 a. I can prove “key" happened.  TRUE
 b. I can prove “key”  didn’t happen.  FALSE

As the second question involves time, there is need for a “time keeper”. This is the primary duty of the notary.
In fact, the notary only needs to know the time and that “key” evaluates to true.
The notary doesn’t need to know the ILP significance of “key” evaluating to true.

So if “key” is a crypto-condition, then there are two related (but mutually exclusive) composite crypto conditions.
 a. “key” AND “true" AND "notarized by X”
 b. “key” AND “false” AND "notarized by X”

Of course, proving ((a) XOR (b)) is as problematic as proving (NOT key).

This leads to the corollary “honest notary” problem.
 1. It is impossible to prove that a notary is honest  [ will never violate ((a) XOR (b)) ]
 2. But it is easy to prove that a notary is dishonest  [ there exists ((a) AND (b)) ]

In the real world, notaries are kept honest by their physical journals. A journal lists chronological entries for everything a notary has notarized.
Like a crypto-condition, the notary journal entry doesn’t contain the significance of what is being notarized, just a reference to details kept externally.

In the crypto world, the digital corollary to a notary’s physical journal is a hash chain. The hash chain could be implemented as a public blockchain.
This avoids “trusting” any given notary service to maintain the journal (hash chain) and provide an honest query interface to its history.

Anyway, just thoughts to ponder.
Bob Way
Integration Architect | Ripple
bob@ripple.com <mailto:ben@ripple.com> | ripple.com <http://ripple.com/>