Re: pan, rotation, move and zoom request events

Absolutely.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

From:	raman@google.com (T.V Raman)
To:	Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc:	jason@jasonjgw.net, public-indie-ui@w3.org
Date:	03/28/2013 05:56 PM
Subject:	Re: pan, rotation, move and zoom request events

Hit testing will also be important for touch-screen interfaces,
  so the user doesn't have to touch exactly at a small point, but
  can be given a radius of uncertainty by the underlying
  application.

Richard Schwerdtfeger writes:
 > Hi Jason,
 >
 > Zoom should first be driven by hit testing in the browser. If you have a
point within an object the zoom event should be generated at the object hit
and then the object
 > should manage the zoom from that point. The application needs to make
the decision how it zooms once the event is received. This will be
particularly important, for example,
 > if you have something like a flow chart and your browser deems the hit
to be within a line. The application may find the point toward the end of
the line and want to zoom
 > around that point. We will need these concepts when we apply zooming to
SVG and HTML5 Canvas.

 > So, the x,y coordinates are essential. There may be some instances, such
as text, or UI controls the app. may wish to zoom off center of the x,y
coordinate.