Re: IndieUI brainstorming

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> UI Request events you'd use to manipulate those controls. Value change
> doesn't really fit, and "Move" specifically talks about deltas in CSS
> coordinates, not discrete items. I'd like to see, at a minimum:
> next/previous and first/last for a list or tree, and up/down/left/right,
> and row-start/row-end/col-start/col-end for a grid.
> >>
> >> I think those will more covered by the focus change events (for
> non-linear navigation) and markrequest for selection non covered by the
> default activation event, but neither of these are in the spec yet. We do
> have a few actions tracking them though.
> >>
> >> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/13
> >> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/14
> >> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/15
> >> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/25
> >
> > Great. Same as above, the only ones I see missing are actions to skip to
> the first/last element.
>
> Is your request about jumping to a particular cell in a spread sheet, or
> more general? I need some more clarification about what you have in mind
> for row-start/row-end for a grid. Are you thinking like a Web-based
> equivalent to table view delegate methods? Or is this more like the "Jump
> to line" feature common in text editors? Or something else?

Action-15 seems the most relevant.

Consider a listbox as an example - in particular, one implemented with
aria-activedescendant with focus on the listbox, not on each option - so
the assistive technology could not just set focus directly to an option.

I assume that focusNextRequest and focusPreviousRequest could be used to
move to the next or previous item within the listbox, corresponding to
pressing the down or up arrows. How would you jump to the top or bottom of
the listbox, corresponding to pressing the Home or End keys?

> If it ends up being too much beyond IndieUI 1.0, that's fine - but would
> you have any objections to considering it and discussing it in this group,
> with the idea that if it grows too complicated or we can't reach a
> consensus, we won't let it hold up the spec and we'll just leave it out
> until we're happy with it?
>
> I have no objections, and I'm interested in hearing what you have in mind.

I added a note to Issue 9. https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/issues/9

- Dominic