Re: IndieUI brainstorming

On Jan 9, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:38 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>>> For a value change request on a slider or scroll bar, are "increment_max" and "decrement_max" supposed to be the same as "skip to start" and "skip to end", for example what might happen if you press Home or End? Also, I think it'd be useful to explicitly have equivalents to Page-Up and Page-Down - it often makes sense to scroll by one "page".
>>
>> I was hoping to clarify that with the informative keyboard example here, that includes PageUp/PageDown,
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/tip/src/indie-ui-events.html#UIValueChangeRequestEvents
>>
>> PageUp would most likely send INCREMENT_LARGE.
>> PageDown would most likely send DECREMENT_LARGE.
>
> I'm okay with large == page. I still think we need a "skip to start" and "skip to end", corresponding to Home/End.

That's what INCREMENT_MAX and DECREMENT_MIN would be used for. Sorry I wasn't clear on that in my last response.

>>> What if you have a listbox, grid, or tree? It's not clear to me which UI Request events you'd use to manipulate those controls. Value change doesn't really fit, and "Move" specifically talks about deltas in CSS coordinates, not discrete items. I'd like to see, at a minimum: next/previous and first/last for a list or tree, and up/down/left/right, and row-start/row-end/col-start/col-end for a grid.
>>
>> I think those will more covered by the focus change events (for non-linear navigation) and markrequest for selection non covered by the default activation event, but neither of these are in the spec yet. We do have a few actions tracking them though.
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/13
>> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/14
>> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/15
>> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/25
>
> Great. Same as above, the only ones I see missing are actions to skip to the first/last element.

Is your request about jumping to a particular cell in a spread sheet, or more general? I need some more clarification about what you have in mind for row-start/row-end for a grid. Are you thinking like a Web-based equivalent to table view delegate methods? Or is this more like the "Jump to line" feature common in text editors? Or something else?

>>> UI Request events like next/previous and first/last might also apply when you have a pop-up menu (combobox), radio button group, or tablist.
>>>
>>> Finally, what if you have an editable text widget? The web is now full of text editors, code editors, word processors, and terminal emulators. Web authors currently have to listen for platform-specific keystrokes or gestures in order to implement things like moving by word or extending the selection by character, word, or line. How about an action representing a text cursor change request where the fields could indicate movement by character, word, or line - and a boolean field could indicate whether the cursor should move or the selection should be extended?
>>
>> I think the custom RTE view problem is complex enough that it may require an API that is outside the scope of IndieUI 1.0. We currently have a custom text editing issue open for ARIA 2.0, but we haven't made much progress on it yet.
>
> If it ends up being too much beyond IndieUI 1.0, that's fine - but would you have any objections to considering it and discussing it in this group, with the idea that if it grows too complicated or we can't reach a consensus, we won't let it hold up the spec and we'll just leave it out until we're happy with it?

I have no objections, and I'm interested in hearing what you have in mind.

James