Re: Consensus Call re the IndieUI TF Work Statement

On 12-07-10 7:16 PM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Colleagues:
>
> It is now some three weeks since we've any edits have been proposed to
> our IndieUI Task Force Work Statement:
>
> Furthermore, all previously suggested (and teleconference adopted) edits
> have, I believe, now been fully incorporated in this document available at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF
>
> Therefore, this is a call for consensus on this Work Statement. If you
> have any further tweaks to propose, please do so no later than close of
> business Boston Time on Wednesday, 18 July. If there are no further
> recommendations for perfecting this document, we will consider our Work
> Statement agreed by the Task Force and its two supporting Working Groups
> at that time.
>
> Janina Sajka, TF Facilitator
> IndieUI Task Force

Another point of clarification.  The statement of work regarding events
includes the phrase "... interface functionality used by Web
applications.".  While I appreciate that this is the W3C and that we are
discussing Web standards, I don't think we should be overly constrained
by the "Web" aspect of the "application".  At a conceptual level, the
user interfaces we are discussing are not that much different from
desktop user interfaces.  A concrete example:  the UI for a web-based
rich text editor is not that much different from that of a desktop rich
text editor.  Both have tool bars, menus, caret, scrolling regions, and
so on.  The use of DHTML to emulate desktop-like interfaces within web
pages is part of the reason why the Indie UI group exists.  Of course,
the way the web pages work is a constraint, and we should be sensitive
to it, but it shouldn't be the point of departure.

Developing useful, meaningful UI events is the goal; not so much the
fact that it's happening on the Web.

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -