Re: [Events] avoiding formal objections; a.k.a. concerns about caption on/off/toggle events, and overlap with User Context module

I hadn't read this when I wrote the proposed text I just posted for the
user context doc but it makes perfect sense in terms of the examples I
put in.

andy
> James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. There is 1:1 overlap with the planned User Context notifications when
>> user preferences change. Without that module, the events in their current
>> form do not address the problem of what happens when a user lands on the
>> page to watch a video. No "change" in the user's preference occurs, so no
>> events will fire, and the web page will not be able to know if a user wants
>> captions on or off.
>
> I think this point is decisive: the only means for the Web application to
> ascertain whether captions are desired is to invoke a query, which is exactly
> what the User Contexts specification is meant to allow, at which point we've
> exceeded the scope of IndieUI events.
>>
>> 2. By adding these in the Events module, we'll have to address the idea of
>> "restricted access" to user data in the general events spec, which requires
>> the same amount of privacy restriction that we've anticipated for the user
>> context spec.
>
> I agree this is significant. Of course, the UA could dispatch the caption
> events if and only if the privacy settings provided in relation to User
> Contexts allow this preference to be disclosed, but this would introduce too
> tight  a coupling between events and Contexts, since the UA would then have to
> implement the privacy features of the latter in order to conform to the
> former.
>
> The cleaner solution is as you proposed - to move this into the User Contexts
> spec.

Cheers

andy
--