Re: [Events] avoiding formal objections; a.k.a. concerns about caption on/off/toggle events, and overlap with User Context module

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> 1. There is 1:1 overlap with the planned User Context notifications when
> user preferences change. Without that module, the events in their current
> form do not address the problem of what happens when a user lands on the
> page to watch a video. No "change" in the user's preference occurs, so no
> events will fire, and the web page will not be able to know if a user wants
> captions on or off.

I think this point is decisive: the only means for the Web application to
ascertain whether captions are desired is to invoke a query, which is exactly
what the User Contexts specification is meant to allow, at which point we've
exceeded the scope of IndieUI events.

> 2. By adding these in the Events module, we'll have to address the idea of
> "restricted access" to user data in the general events spec, which requires
> the same amount of privacy restriction that we've anticipated for the user
> context spec.

I agree this is significant. Of course, the UA could dispatch the caption
events if and only if the privacy settings provided in relation to User
Contexts allow this preference to be disclosed, but this would introduce too
tight  a coupling between events and Contexts, since the UA would then have to
implement the privacy features of the latter in order to conform to the
former.

The cleaner solution is as you proposed - to move this into the User Contexts
spec.