Re: IndieUI-ISSUE-8 (TTS context dictionary): Need a way to define a context and pronunciation dictionary on a per-resource basis. [IndieUI: User Context 1.0]

From: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:04:16 +1100
To: public-indie-ui@w3.org
Independent User Interface Task Force Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> It's possible this should use a phonemic alphabet for the pronunciation strings, but I'm not sure about the l18n implications of that decision at the time of this writing.

If I recall an undergraduate linguistics course correctly, the international
phonetic alphabet is applicable to a great variety of languages. If IPA is
included in Unicode, then it could perhaps be used to specify pronunciations,
which could then be converted to the phonemic string used by the particular
TTS software in use on the client side.

This approach would also have the advantage that the value need only be
specified as an Unicode string and authors could use either phonetics or
substitute text as appropriate.