Re: AR Web

On 8/20/2018 4:18 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 4:36 PM James Baicoianu
> <james_w3c@baicoianu.com <mailto:james_w3c@baicoianu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe after 5 years we'll convince everyone to agree on a common
>     set of functionality, and then another 5 years convincing browser
>     makers to implement it, before we can really say the work is
>     done.  The important thing is keeping the conversation alive and
>     driving it ever forwards :)
>

> I hope we can work faster than that :-)

Me too :D

> As a start, what do people think about designing a pure JavaScript
> interface instead of defining new HTML tags?
> It's easy to define your own HTML tags with custom elements and it
> avoids changing the HTML spec and the browser's parser.

I agree that this sort of thing doesn't necessarily need to be tied to
the DOM, yeah - there's a whole set of basic 3d math and geometry
primitives which don't make sense as DOM elements, but if standardized,
would make it easier to share objects and code between 3D libraries and
engines (Vector3, Matrix4, Geometry, etc).

I'm less familiar with what would be involved in getting things like
this added as underlying features of Javascript, but this may be outside
the scope of this list, and would likely involve the ECMA TC39 group.
https://github.com/tc39/proposals could be a good place to continue this
discussion, although I'm unfamiliar with their process for making
suggestions.

--
James Baicoianu
Principal Engineer, JanusVR