Pursuing question of mime types in W3C specifications and next actions

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:43:08 -0400
To: public-ietf-w3c@w3.org
CC: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, ned.freed@mrochek.com, ij@w3.org

Martin, Ned,

Yesterday I participated in a W3C/IETF coordination
call where one of the topics was about the registration
of mime types defined by W3C Recommendations. A summary
of the meeting will be available soon to the W3C Membership.

As a result of that meeting, I'm expecting the following:

  a) Joseph Reagle will write down detailed best current practice
     for W3C Editors to conform with IETF process (notably
     RFC2048). I hope to make Joseph's document part of the
     Chair's guidebook.

  b) There may be some medium- to long-term changes to the
     IETF process to facilitate registration of mime types
     defined by W3C Recommendations. Some of those who attended
     yesterday's meeting will be finding out what changes might
     be possible.

I'm writing to get a clearer idea of whether this will be
discussed at the Yokohama meeting in Japan (14-19 July),
and if so, in what forum.

Who will be attending that meeting from W3C? Martin, I
am told you will be attending. Is this a discussion you could
monitor?

Also, can we expect a report after the meeting that sets
expectations for W3C editors about future registration
options and when those might be available? Should we assume
at this point that for the next, say, 6 months, W3C editors
should follow the steps that Joseph will outline?

Thank you,

  - Ian

[1] http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-54.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/meetings/agenda_54.html

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447